More Spooker Tales


Spooker was a fine, frisky young adult cat when we moved into our first house, in Dayton, Ohio. She quickly realized it was her palace, and her playground. She delighted in running up and down and up and down the carpeted stairs. And that's where it got weird.
See, when she was in one of her running sprees, sometimes she would be possessed by the spirit of a little dog.
She would run up and down the stairs, barking.
Yes, that's right.
Barking.
Our cat would run up and down the stairs, barking: "ruh-ruh-ruff ruff ruh ruff". It sounded freakily like a yappy terrier. She did this dozens of times over the years we lived in that house.
Turns out, the previous owners had kept a terrier and her litter of pups in the basement, the cat lady next door told me, and one of the puppies had fallen down the basement stairs and had died.

Oooooh --- creepy. My Spooker was channeling a terrier.

After we moved out of that house, Spooker NEVER made that barking sound again. Sure, she still delights in her wild full-moon inspired midnight rampage runs. But now, it's just the Spooker running. No barking.

Today, Spooker spends more time curled up, napping, than most anything else. She's 13 years old now and she is still not amused that I have thrust a bunch of hyperactive miscreants into her dotage. When she's not napping, she's usually growling or hissing at Daphne or Chloe, or Little Isis and Pete.

But Spooker is still my #1 kid, and we share a pillow at night. When I get into bed at night, I lie on my back, reading. Spooker is on my chest, getting a good ear scratch during this time. Then, when it's time for lights-out, I turn over and spread out the pillow flat. She curls up on her half, and I get half with my nose sticking into her fur. I wrap my right arm around her, and we drift off into a purry slumber.

Don't forget - come back tomorrow for an announcement of something we've concocted to help celebrate Spooker's up-coming Gotcha Day!

Cheers,
Not The Mama



post signature

Mo and The Purries

15 comments :

  1. Wow - Spooker is a very sensitive kitty if she's picking up on ghostly vibes.

    Happy gotcha day a little early, Spooker!

    Charlemagne and Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Channeling a terrier?! Wow, that is spooky, Spooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just goes to prove how special Miss Spooker really is, right?

    DMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, I think "Spooker" is the perfect name for her, channeling the little terrier. I'm glad you have special Spooker time with her every night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers for our family. It really means so much to us. Also, thanks for posting KC's graphic over at House Panthers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a story - I wonder if I can bark...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooker sounds like a super cool kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spooker seems to be aptly named the barking was spooky. We thinks she is very well loved. ~S,S,C & F

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished reading Spooker's side of the story! I love the adjectives you used - well, the nouns and verbs were pretty clever, too!
    That is really weird about the terrier thing. Good grief! Makes one wonder....
    ~~~Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I nefer learned ta bark, but the sleepin on The Big Thing in bed sounds like my nights...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, that is a spooky story. FAZ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Psychic spooker!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my - I would write more, but I am laughing (in cat) hysterically.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:52 PM

    Mrs Spooker you are too cool! it must have felt very funny having a little woofie spirit, but I bet you were in super tip top shape.. my momma needs that! :)
    What a wonderful girl you is, specially for looking over your dadda all night :)))
    V-V

    ReplyDelete

We ♥ comments!

But all spam comments will be deleted - so don't even bother spamming us, or we will scratch your eyes out!!!

Instagram